We are currently recruiting for a Solicitor to work on a part time basis for a 12 month FTC at a law firm in Liverpool.
To be responsible for all aspects of litigated and none litigated, serious or catastrophic personal injury claims.
Duties will include,
- Deal with all aspects of litigated and non – litigated personal injury claims mainly of a high (serious injury/ multi track) value and/or technical nature
- Continuously risk assess a case as it progresses
- To identify the need for signposting to other organisations such as Headway
- To identify the need for the claimant to be referred for a benefits check
- To be able to identify other relevant policies or cover in place such as critical illness or permanent health and advise the client accordingly
- To liaise with the coroners court and attend the coroners court as needed
- To attend if required the Magistrates or Crown Court for the hearing of any associated criminal proceedings.
- Be able to obtain relevant and necessary evidence (medical or otherwise), liaising with medical experts as necessary
- Have an excellent working knowledge of the CPR and/or and other relevant case law and/or legislation and progressing claims in a timely manner in accordance with the CPR
- Be able to identify subtle injuries and ask relevant questions to ascertain the nature of injuries suffered
- Instruct Counsel, to attend conferences, hearings and CMC’s, JSMs etc.
- Ensure any appropriate instructions are obtained from any relevant lay and/or insurance clients or their litigation friend where the client is a protected party.
- Prioritise urgent schedule entries and dealing with remainder of daily tasks on To Do list
- Prioritise Court directions ensuring all directions are complied with in a timely manner
- Liaise with Professional Deputy and Case managers throughout the case
- Achieve and exceed various targets set in relation to WIP, fee income, settlements, closures and issuing
- Engage with business development activities as required by your manager or Department Head
- Engage with mentoring and training other team members as required by your manager or Department Head.
- Undertake telephone or personal advocacy when appropriate e.g. allocation hearings and CMCs.
- Draft pleadings, applications, instructions, briefs and schedules of loss.
- Take a pragmatic commercial approach to settlements and advising clients as to litigation/cost risks
Experience & Knowledge
- A Solicitor, ILEX qualified or file handler with a minimum of 8 years’ experience in the personal injury field
- Have empathy and compassion
- Be available out of normal office hours to speak to clients from time to time
- The ability to liaise and build up a rapport by using effective communication with all external agencies during the life of a claim including medical agencies, investigators, barristers etc.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, with a calm and methodical approach to work, and a flexible and adaptable attitude to resolving issues
- A proven track record of running a successful multi-track and/or SI caseload within a personal injury environment
- Excellent client care and analytical skills, to include providing written and oral advice in a clear concise manner
- Good IT skills with a sound working knowledge of VF or a similar case management system and essential MS Office knowledge
For more information on this role, please contact [email protected]