Serious Injury Solicitor/Fee Earner
ACS are currently recruiting for a Solicitor/Fee Earner for the Serious Injury department of our clients firm on Merseyside.
Purpose of the Job:
- Deal with all aspects of litigated and non – litigated personal injury claims mainly of a high (serious injury/ multi track) value and/or technical nature
- Instruct Counsel, to attend conferences, hearings and CMC’s, JSMs etc.
- Undertake telephone advocacy when appropriate e.g. allocation hearings and CMCs.
- Take a pragmatic commercial approach to settlements and advising clients as to litigation/cost risks
- Ensure any appropriate instructions are obtained from any relevant lay and/or insurance clients
- Ensure any appropriate instructions are obtained from clients
- Prioritise urgent schedule entries and dealing with remainder of daily tasks on To Do list
- Prioritise Court directions ensuring all directions are complied with in a timely manner
- Achieve and exceed various targets set in relation to WIP, fee income, settlements, closures and issuing
- Have a good working knowledge of the CPR and/or and other relevant case law and/or legislation and progressing claims in a timely manner in accordance with the CPR
- Have a good understanding of experience in handling SI claims
- Be able to obtain relevant and necessary evidence (medical or otherwise), liaising with medical experts as necessary
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to,
- Build a relationship with clients to minimise the possibility of complaints and to enhance the reputation of the Firm and the service it provides
- Ensure that any relevant insurer is kept updated and fully informed as to the progress of any claims to reduce any potential exposure/liability and to increase saving
- Maintain pro- active communication with clients to ensure all heads of claim are discussed with the client at the outset and throughout the claim.
- Obtain all relevant documentation from clients at the outset.
- Ensure that the correct medical or other evidence is obtained in order that the claim can be advanced and/or maximised.
- Discuss liability and/or quantum offers with the relevant parties, making use of the telephone rather than letter whenever possible.
- Ensure clients are kept informed and up to date on a regular basis throughout the life of the claim.
- Build a rapport by speaking/meeting with clients when possible to ensure a consistency of service and to ensure insurers loyalty to the Firm
- Check the authenticity and validity of claims by speaking with clients regularly on potentially difficult files
- Prioritise incoming daily post/emails and dealing with anything needing urgent attention while the remainder of the post is dealt with expeditiously and in order of importance and productivity
- Assist new or less experienced members of the team with any issues in terms of clients, referrers, external agencies and procedure etc.
- Liaise with Head of Technical to take more contentious files and deal with them under supervision to expand knowledge and experience
- Where applicable increase numbers of multi-track/SI cases within caseload to further develop own level of experience
Knowledge, Experience and Skills Required:
- A Solicitor, ILEX qualified or file handler of at least 5 years’ experience in the personal injury field
- A proven track record of running a successful fast , multi-track and/or SI caseload within a personal injury environment
- Excellent client care and analytical skills, to include providing written and oral advice in a clear concise manner
- The ability to liaise and build up a rapport by using effective communication with all external agencies during the life of a claim including medical agencies, investigators, barristers etc.
- Good IT skills with a sound working knowledge of VF or a similar case management system and essential MS Office knowledge.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, with a calm and methodical approach to work, and a flexible and adaptable attitude to resolving issues.
For more information on this role, please contact [email protected]