ACS are currently recruiting for a Legal Clerk to join a law firm in Liverpool City Centre.
Duties will include, but not be limited to,
- Arranging appointments and attending new, current and former clients and dealing with their queries.
- Taking new client referrals, including the completion of conflict checks and advising as to documentary evidence required at first interview.
- Ensuring that disbursements on LAA funded matters are claimed promptly
- Obtaining instructions and advising on course (s) of action, length and cost of case
- Drafting and/or dictating correspondence to client, court, solicitors counsel and other third-parties, including Statements, Notices, Applications, and other Legal Forms/Documents for production/preparation by Secretary;
- Maintaining complete and accurate client/ matter in both electronic and hard copy.
- Ensuring on a daily basis that all files are complete, tidy and orderly.
- Maintaining confidentiality in all matters relating to the client and the Practice
- Referring clients to mediation as appropriate
- Assessment of client’s financial means and explanation of LAA Funding or Private terms and conditions;
- Taking instructions and preparing Legal Aid forms
- Completing and updating the Open Matter List and reviewing the same with the principal fee earner
- Dealing with incoming correspondence
- Generating outgoing correspondence and documentation utilising fully the case management system and all standard precedents.
- Ensuring that new client information is sent and recorded in accordance with SRA Code of Conduct
- Drafting and issuing proceedings
- Amending Certificate of Legal Aid Certificate when limitation scope is reached and updating the matter database.
- Ensuring that devolved powers are exercised where appropriate and that we are not exceeding limits on devolved powers, referring to Legal Aid Agency where necessary.
- Opening a new matter when Certificate of Legal Aid Certificate is received subsequent to a Legal Help matter
- Sending file to the Finance Department for Legal Help to be completed when Legal Aid Certificate is granted or case finishes
- Making and receiving telephone calls
- Ensuring that all time recording is entered for each chargeable and non- chargeable activity.
- Instructing counsel, experts, solicitor advocates or other third-parties, reviewing reports and continued liaison as required;
- arranging hearings and conferences;
- Ascertaining position in relation to time already recorded before undertaking any work on a Legally Aided matter so that financial limits are not exceeded.
- Checking cost limitation and scope of Certificates
- Obtaining and reviewing evidence and statements
- To ensure that all work carried out meets or exceeds the requirements of the LAA’s Unified Contract, the Lexcel Standard and the Solicitors’ Code of Conduct.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Analytical skills
- Written and oral communication skills
- IT skills
- Understanding of legal process
- Previous legal work experience
For more information on this role, please contact [email protected]