ACS are now recruiting for an In-House Advocate on behalf of our client, a successful law firm based in Birkenhead.
- To prepare, collate and manage advocacy MI.
- To undertake advocacy requirements arising within all of the firm’s Legal Departments, and to ensure the provision of a high quality, efficient and cost effective service. Advocacy will include but is not limited to Stage 3 hearings, Infant Settlement hearings, CMCs, CCMCs and directions hearings.
- To play an active role in developing and delivering advocacy training for trainee solicitors and other legal advisers, working alongside the Legal Training Department.
- To provide advice, research, analysis and drafting where required.
- To manage a small caseload through all stages of the investigation and litigation process.
- To identify cases where commercially it would be tactically advantageous to settle or proceed to a final hearing.
- Keep up to date with all industry changes including case law, legislation and other matters of relevance.
- Take a practical but commercial approach to settlements and advising clients as to litigation/cost risks.
- To achieve and exceed various targets set in relation to, for example, profit costs and issuing, without compromising the firm’s integrity.
- To liaise appropriately and timely with sources, medical agencies, experts, third party insurers and other relevant parties to ensure that cases are pro-actively progressed.
- Perform to a high level in a target orientated environment.
- To provide guidance on technical issues involving quantum, liability and litigation to other members of the Legal Departments.
- To highlight any potential risks to management.
- To be responsible for the provision of advocacy arising from cases within the legal departments.
- To be able to provide advice to legal advisers and managers on the best format to present cases at Court.
- To assist in developing appropriate processes and documentation for the case management system in relation to representation at Court.
- To progress your caseload in a manner to ensure that clients receive appropriate, professional, timely and pertinent legal advice, with regular contact, whilst managing their expectations.
Experience and Knowledge
- Excellent advocate and litigator with strong drafting skills and the ability to recognise issues as they arise and provide commercial sound solutions.
- Team player and acts as a role model to colleagues, working to achieve business and team goals.
- Solicitor or Barrister.
- Ability to provide clear direction and advice and be accountable for advice provided
- Competent working with a case management system and good knowledge of MS Office.
- Excellent research and problem solving skills with the ability to convey complex legal and factual issues to a variety of audiences.
- A solid working knowledge of the CPR, legislation and relevant case law
- Maintain a positive attitude, self-motivated and uses own initiative in problem solving.
- Resilient under pressure – able to deal with a fast paced changing environment whilst still achieving objectives.
- Takes opportunities to develop and stretch themselves and be passionate about developing a career in personal injury and with the firm itself.
- At least 12 months to 2 years’ experience of undertaking advocacy on a regular basis
- Having undertaken the BVC or have Higher Rights of Audience
- Strong communication skills and ability to lead by example.
- Experience of undertaking Stage 3 and Infant Approval Hearings.
For more information on this role please contact step[email protected]