ACS re recruiting for an experienced Paralegal to join the Healthcare department of our clients firm in Liverpool.
Duties will include but not be limited to,
- Oversight of inquest process (with admin support), including considering draft statements, review of matters to ensure all necessary information available from Coroner and to witnesses prior to inquest, ensuring RCA report disclosed to Coroner and any updated action plan provided where necessary and identify any issues which may affect the reputation of the Trust.
- To consider necessity of lesson learning evidence/witness, to provide support to staff attending inquests, to prepare reports to Executive team, to instruct firm in complex cases;
- To assist in preparing staff involved in an inquest, and identify any issues which may affect the reputation of the Trust.
- Manage claims against the Trust, including reporting to and liaising with the NHS LA, liaising with and advising the Director of Nursing regarding defence or settlement of claims, to liaise where instructed, to identify common themes and to also tie in with inquests where appropriate;
- To maintain systems for obtaining statements to help thoroughly assess and evaluate claims, being sure to always reflect the Trust’s position in the light of the NHS LA’s proposed stance on liability and potential settlements of claims;
- Arrange and chair pre-inquest meetings with staff called as witnesses, ensuring they understand what is expected and supported throughout the process.
- Liaising with Head of Clinical Governance to instruct solicitors and Barristers, when required, ensuring they are given very clear and concise instructions.
- To identify issues which may affect the Trust’s reputation, and continue to review such issues as they arise during the course of an Inquest, working closely with the Director of Communications and other senior colleagues.
- Triangulation of claims, inquests, court reports and incidents/complaints;
- To provide training and development in relation to report writing, attending inquests and other court attendance
- To feedback learning from Inquests to relevant services.
- Assist the Head of Clinical Governance in responses to all reports from Coroner written pursuant to Regulation 28.
- To support staff with court report requests, in line with the Trust’s policy;
- Some oversight of RCAs and to link in with inquests;
Successful candidate will be supporting the Trust in all aspects of delivering a legal service which meets both internal and external requirements.
- Assisting with all aspects of the management of clinical and non-clinical claims,
- Working closely with instructed solicitors/barristers and the NHS LA;
- Liaison with HM Coroners and their Officers in the management of inquests.
The post holder will be prioritising and managing own delegated caseload of claims, inquests and other enquiries or requests for legal advice.
This role is an excellent opportunity to gain high quality legal and governance experience in a supportive NHS environment and will assist career progression in the future.
For more information on this role, please contact [email protected]