My client, one of the UK’s leading law firms, have an opportunity for a Law Costs Draftsman to join their Costs Management Team in the London office.
- You will deal with solicitors’ files across a range of disciplines and prepare costs claims for submission to opposing solicitors or the courts. You may be required to undertake negotiations and possibly have some involvement with advocacy.
- Applicants should be committed and hardworking individuals who enjoy operating in a pressurised and highly motivated team environment. You will be able to demonstrate the ability to work on your own initiative with the minimum of supervision.
- You will have a flexible approach making you able to respond to rapid changes in working schedules and priorities. For this you will need to be organised and able to communicate clearly with people at all levels.
- Ideally you will be educated to degree standard and ideally have experience working either in house or for an external supplier of costs drafting services. The ideal candidate should have a Law Costs Drafting qualification ALCD (or studying towards this).
- Candidates may be required to undertake additional training and encouraged to study for professional Law Costs qualifications. The role involves the use of IT systems and therefore computer literacy is essential. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes would be advantageous.
The recovery of costs is dealt with by a large team of people who will turn over recovery of approximately £100 million of the firm’s fees per annum and the preparation of around 2000 bills for detailed assessment per year. Bills will individually generally be above £10,000 and some large bills will exceed £1 million. Of these approximately 200 are likely to go through to a contested hearing where advocacy will be required before a District, Costs or High Court Judge.
For more information on this role please email [email protected]